Sunday, September 21, 2014

Gone to Carolina in my Mind

After two very relaxing days off (I probably slept more that weekend than I have combined my three weeks on the road), I was ready to get back on the road. Luckily, I got to head down to Charleston, SC and spend some time in a great city that wasn't too far from home.


So, after a few hiccups on a Monday morning, I found out I was not going to be able to make it to the apartment I live in with my consultant sister, Rachel, that evening. So what do you do when you're in a panic and need somebody to help you come up with a solution? Call your big diamond sister. What's even better? That my big diamond lives in Charleston and told me to head to her house for a surprise sleepover! Sometimes, things work out just perfectly :) We went down to Folly beach and got to eat & catch up after not seeing each other for most of the summer, which was just the best surprise.

After time with Emily, I hit the ground running the next morning in Charleston. Rachel, the consultant who lives full time at Charleston Southern University, had a full schedule for us that week that included tabling, getting ready for recruitment, meetings, and tying up lose ends. But of course, in true LC fashion, we got to #TreatOurselves and enjoy some of Charleston too, not to mention one too many strawberry limeades to keep us going throughout the week.


Being at a colony is a much different experience than visiting a chapter. At a colony, there is much more time to plan- but it can be more stressful because every responsibility prior to the IOs arriving falls on two people, instead of having an exec team to also work alongside with. However, getting to talk about Alpha Delta Pi on a campus that has no other Panhellenic sororities and talk about the impact that it can have on their lives was an opportunity I'm glad I got to have.

Perhaps the best part of being at a colony is getting to spend time with consultant sisters, as well as getting to know International Officers on a more personal level. Hearing their stories, and seeing how Alpha Delta Pi has aided these women into becoming the leaders that they are is one of the most powerful things I have gotten to hear since my time as a consultant.



My time in Charleston was filled with so much family and sisterhood. Not only did I get to see my big diamond, but also another Appalachian sister I have remained close to- a fellow consultant, Laura Stewart. It was so much fun to get to be around old friends, especially when my travels so far have only consisted meeting new friends! I also got to spend the day with my parents, who can oh-so-conveniently make it down to Charleston basically anytime now that they are empty nesters. We got to spend the day on the beach, (side note- you still need sunscreen in mid September!) and go out to restaurant week with Rachel! The week concluded with welcoming home 49 Alphas into our sisterhood, which was the most rewarding day after a week of hard work!


Speaking of restaurant week (a couple sentences back.. sorry)- that should be on your bucket list for next year. Rachel and I got to eat at a couple different restaurants with some amazinggggg food for even more amazing prices. It's so fun being able to try different things at new restaurants and seeing what truly makes a city special. Although you may walk away from the experience in a food coma, it is well worth it, I promise.

My fourth visit is now in the books. Next up is about my time back where it all started (aka where I was born) in Ohio!

Lots of love from South Carolina,
Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment